Friday, June 26, 2009

Upanishads!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dint growup in a religious or highly intellectual family or surrounding...went to a Christian mission school, so I'm rather ignorant of much of the practices of Hinduism, especially when it comes to understanding all the slokas that are chanted for specific ceremonies - I mean I dont know by rote, or understand even the basic ones...Its a shame..but me happening to be me, dont really care much for religion. As is, I'm happy to "talk"to God, in my own language, that I understand - He better know all languages to clear His basic qualification of being Omniscient. So that was that. Never bothered.

But then, I have heard the following Sanskrit verse for years now - and suddenly I felt stupid for not knowing what it meant...

"
Asatoma Sat Gamaya
Tamasoma Jyotir Gamaya
Mrityorma Anritam Gamaya"
- Brihadaranyaka Upanishad

Using the "google"God, I figured out what this meant...the translation as follows..

"Lead me from the unreal to the Real
Lead me from the darkness to the Light
Lead me from the temporary to the Eternal"

Cant deny the profoundness of that Prayer...But hey, I have a question, who decides the Real and Unreal, the darkness and light, the temporary and eternal? Lets get this straight, the world does not run by a rule book, whats my Real is your unreal - Usually we all stand in light, everthing around us looking rather dark - everything temporary becomes eternal and everything seemingly eternal becomes temporary in the course of life!!

Well, to simplify, I beleive, all rules we define for our life are contextual to be conveniently broken as the context changes...So as long as there is a Supreme guy out there, making a very personalised call on the parameters that moves actions, motives and emotions of people along the reality, light and timelessness scale, normalising it to specific circumstances of the individual - Great!! But then we all know how the world functions - Hi Ha.... So much for an idealistic world!



1 comment:

BlanyAshwin said...

Try your luck here
http://clarityofnight.blogspot.com/2009/07/in-vino-veritas-truth-in-wine-short.html